Sunday, December 27, 2009

On Borrowed Time, Part Five; Lost

I am lost.

We are lost.

I know that there is more than one Air Base in England, but where is Lakenheath? Calvin and I have stopped on many occasions and asked how to get to Lakenheath AB but it seems that each time we follow those directions, we go too far, only to stop and ask again, and again we are told to continue?

It is night time, my biological clock has gone the way of the dodo because we are in a new time zone. I can't even remember which side of the rode to be on. The streets are almost empty and yet when we ask for directions the people are very helpful but the information just doesn't jive?

Have I entered the Twilight Zone?

Oh, I just want to go to sleep and wake up somewhere safe.

One young fellow we stopped to ask said it was that way, pointing in the direction we are travelling. "Just turn left at the white church," He Said.

He was curious though, he asked us how we were doing on the bikes. His friend asked how fast are we were traveling, the speed limit is 55 now, the oil embargo had taken a stronghold and England was hit the worst.

We told him that we compromised, the Norton that Calvin was on would start to vibrate at about 80, and the Kawasaki I was on would just stop vibrating at 80. So it was fine for both of us at 80 MPH. Both of the boys looked surprised, they reminded us that the speed limit is 55 and to watch out for the police. They weren’t police, they were just a couple of kids concerned for our trip.

On we traveled, looking for the white church.

Another 50 miles or so and we stopped to ask someone else. This time I was nearly unconscious so Calvin did all the asking. I was having trouble with the language anyway.

Again, Calvin was upset with the natives. "These people don't know how to give directions," He commented.

"What?" I asked, trying to figure what made him so mad this time.

"We are going in the right direction," He confessed. "It seems that they just don't have any idea as to how far it is to the Air Base. All the directions were good so far, except for that one guy that sent us in the WRONG direction, but I think they just don't tell you how far it is to the damn white church."

Calvin was referring to the first person we asked, who had sent us in the wrong direction. we only went about 50 miles out of our way and that is why we were no longer on the main thoroughfare.

I was so tired I missed the white church. We made it though. Calvin found the right barracks and we crashed somewhere in the vicinity of Lakenheath Air Base, England.

They say it is because I am a Virgo, I was once told I will have the tendency to fall asleep while making love. Whatever it is, I have it. I get groggy and BANG!

I hate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment