Saturday, February 27, 2010

Pantera

I used to have a buddy that I drag raced with. His name is Bob Cejka. Bob had a couple of Dodge Hemi's and all the bucks-up gear to go along with it. He lives on the hill in Palos Verdes and has all the toys including a Pantera.

Bob and I would race almost every week. I spent lots of time up at his place working on the cars and other social events that included eating and drinking.

Well one day I was up at Bob's with nothing to do, the weather was typical for Southern California, sunny and warm. He tossed me the keys to the Pantera and a credit card and said, "Why don't you go and fill the tank for me?"

Shit! I took it for a ride.

Palos Verdes Drive East is mostly switch back turns that rises and falls through one of the wealthiest areas near my home. Driving a Pantera on those roads was indescribable!

Imagine an Italian sports car powered by one of the most powerful Ford engines, the 351 Cleveland. Now consider that it is a mid-engine design and you can imagine what a sensation it was to drive.

I was so thrilled I didn't even need to cruise past any of my "low lands" friends. It was enough just for me to take it down to San Pedro and fill it up with gas and head back to Bob's.

When I got back I figured I was done for the day. I thanked the God of Internal Combustion Engines (Bob) and threw my leg over my Suzuki 750 Waterpumper and headed for home.

I got three turns from Bob’s house and ran off the road into a drainage ditch. Ouch, that hurt. Not just my leg but my pride hurt too much too. I forgot that the bike I rode couldn’t handle as well as Bob’s Pantera.

Lesson learned, I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment